Careers at SSE Airtricity
We offer our staff an extensive career path with excellent benefits and we are committed to promoting from within, looking for our future leaders from among our own workforce.
We have a whole range of people working together to ensure we deliver quality customer service:
- Quality and compliance officers
Engineering is a core skill at the heart of our organisation, and we're always looking out for candidates in the following areas:
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Control and instrumentation
- Structural and civil engineering
- Project controls and planning
- Design engineering
- Wind turbine engineering
- Process plant engineering
- Gas boiler maintenance and installation
Areas you may work in:
- Major projects: We have projects in renewable energy, thermal generation and electricity networks across the UK and Ireland
- Generation: We have an ownership interest in over 100 thermal and renewable power stations, and we own and operate almost half of the UK's total renewable generation capacity.
- Energy supply: SSE supplies electricity and gas to over 10 million customers in Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland.
- Home services and contracting: SSE also supplies a full range of gas and electrical installation services to 400,000 customers in the UK and Ireland.
This area encompasses a large number of support functions and individual business units that are critical to our success:
- Accountancy, Finance and Audit
- Human Resources
- Corporate Affairs
- Health, Safety and Environment
- Company Secretarial
Our IT department provides services to a number of business areas: renewable and thermal generating stations, electricity transmission and distribution, supply and the upcoming Smart meter programme.
SSE IT is a major Oracle user and other particular areas of both current and future growth are eCommerce, BizTalk and Cognos.
For more information visit the Graduate Programs page on the SSE website
We have a 2-year graduate program which is accredited by both the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) and IMechE (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) open to applicants with an MEng or equivalent (such as a 2:1 BEng with an MSc).
Each post will involve various placements from one week up to four months or longer throughout the UK and Ireland, therefore flexibility and the ability to travel is essential.
- Graduate Programme Application Process (varies from year to year)
- November: Applications open
- December: Applications close
- Early January: Telephone interviews
- End of January: Online assessments
- February: Assessment centre and interview
- March: Offers
Apprentices and trainees
To find out more information and how to apply visit the Apprenticeship section on the SSE website
Each year we offer electrical, gas and mechanical apprenticeships as well as multi-skilled craft Modern Apprenticeships. Many of our senior managers and directors started as apprentices and so becoming an apprentice could be the first step in your future career development.
- Apprenticeship Application Process (varies from year to year)
- January: Applications open
- March: Applications close
- April: Assessments (held regionally)
- May-June: Interviews
- August: Apprenticeship starts
Administrative and other roles
All our business areas require administrative support - you could be part of a working depot or based in a busy office assigned to a specific business area, such as Metering, Lighting Services, Generation, Power Systems or Contracting.
Most administrators and support staff are involved in responding to enquiries and with data management using computerised and manual systems.
Some of the other roles we've recruited recently include:
- Installers (roofers) for our Contracting business
- Lighting designers and highway lighting operatives for our Street Lighting business
- Grab drivers, lorry drivers, cable layers and jointers for our Utility Services division
- Linewalkers, treecutters and linespersons for our Power Distribution business
- Weather forecaster with our Energy Trading division
- Safety advisers and Procurement Officers within our Corporate section
Dublin Our Dublin office is located in Leopardstown, with over 400 employees working in customer service, digital, marketing, operations, IT and administration
Belfast Our Northern Irish Office is based in Belfast. You could join the team at Northern Ireland's fastest-growing and second largest energy provider.